04 Feb Successfully Name Your Business
A catchy, memorable business name is the starting point for an eye-catching logo. While a poorly imagined name won’t necessarily kill or stifle your business, great business or product names can spread more easily and help your customers find you more easily. Can you imagine Google as anything different?
A great business name can be informative as well as catchy, letting clients know instantly what business you are in (Microsoft-software). There are experts in this field and, as you come up with a logo design, Ratio7 can certainly work with you on finding a name that supports a logo and marketing strategy.
Somethings to consider when naming a business or product:
- Start off by identifying your idea customer and what you want to say to them
- Generally, the shorter the better. American Telephone and Telegraph became AT&T
- Avoid putting a location in your name (Hertfordshire News and Books) in case you move out of the area or expand
- Consider your name’s search engine friendliness-the more unique, the easier to find
- Think of the emotions or status you want your business name to convey: peace? excitement? curiousity? youth? maturity?
- Before meeting with a designer or professional naming company, brainstorm a very broad list so you have something to work off of
- When considering the potential name, do consider the potential logo and if it will be labor-intensive to design
- Use root words (Intel=intelligence) to build off of
- Be prepared to do a trademark search to make sure your name isn’t already in use
- Consider browsing stock photos of nearly anything to stir creativity (landscapes, people, business photography are all good choices)
If you need help and are ready to get to work, Ratio7 would love to be your design partner for the long-term. Working with startups is one of our specialties!